Thursday 11 August 2011

Big Boys - Fun, Fun, Fun 12'' (1982)


What a year 1982 was for hardcore, so many classic releases came out that year; nearly 30 years later I'm still hooked on 90% of them. The Big Boys came out of Austin, Texas like a storm into my music world and, at first, I had no clue what to make of them. Should I like, or hate, them...I decided on the former and it didn't take many listens before I was chasing every Big Boys release on day one.

A band who mixed Funk, Punk, Soul and hardcore into one vibrant concoction were always going to impress. Reading about their gigs made me so envious; gigs where the entire crowd danced, not slam danced/moshed, etc, but danced and sang along to the songs. It seemed like a party atmosphere, I wanted in. I never made it.

I'd have loved to have seen this lot live and was hopeful of a reunion at some point, sadly, cirrhosis of the liver due to untreated hepatitus C took Biscuits life a few years ago.

They left behind a great back catalogue that should be grabbed with both hands and enjoyed for what they were; a truly extraodinary punk band the likes of which we'll never see again.

The band comprised : -

Randy (Biscuit) Turner - Vocals
Tim Kerr - Guitar
Chris Gates - Bass
Fred Schultz - Drums (although they had a number over the years)

I can no longer update this post with a download

Bands website

4 comments:

  1. Hey, just ran across your blog today as I was looking for J. Nolan's Idol's stuff- awesome blog. A lot of really good tunez.

    Big Boys are a classic rock/punk band. I like pretty much everything Tim Kerr has been involved in, from the Big Boys to Lord High Fixers to whatever he's doing today. (is it Mondo Generator? Can't remember...)

    Can't forget to mention their connection with another seminal punk band that pushed the limits back in the day- The Dicks!

    Keep up the good work and I'll keep up the looking!

    -Eazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Eazy, I'm currently slacking as work is killing me, but I'll be back on watch in a month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    Anybody there?
    It's there a way of re-posting this?
    It's become impossible to find in the net!!!
    Thank you anyhow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fuser, apologies for the delay. I've updated the link above, have fun, fun, fun.

    ReplyDelete