I like the early New York Dolls, but I wasn't a massive fan, they were just a decent band imo. On the other hand i was a huge fan of The Heartbreakers and Johnny Thunders; this is his first solo release and something he never managed to better, again imo. The line up who played on this record is just a who's who of artists I love: -
- Steve Jones and Paul Cook of the Pistols.
- Paul Gray and Steve Nicol - Eddie and the Hot Rods
- Chrissie Hynde - The Pretenders
- Phil Lynott - Thin Lizzy (yep....I love them)
- Steve Marriott -Small Faces
- Patti Palladin - Snatch
- Walter Lure and Billy Rath - The Heartbreakers
- Peter Perrett and Mike Kellie - The Only Ones
- Steve Lillywhite - producer extraordinaire
I got to see Thunders quite a few times, and the Heartbreakers, and he was mostly good to great, but the last time I saw him playing has left a bad memory as he was completely wasted, missing chords, forgetting lyrics and playing for far too short a time. Sad really.
It's 20 years this month since he died/was murdered...who knows, I guess we never will.
RIP Mr Genzale and many thanks for the great music.