Monday 11 April 2011

Condemned to Death - Diary of a Love Monster (1984)


C2D came out of the Vats, mentioned earlier in the post about the Sluglords. The Vats was an abandoned brewery where people squated and bands rehearsed/formed, along with the Sluglords/C2D it was also home to MDC and DRI....imagine getting to hear those bands each week for free!!

Condemned to Death formed in San Francisco in early '83 Keith Chatham (bass) completed the lineup of a bassless band rehearsing in the Vats. The other members were Eddie Morgan (vocals), Tim Nelson (guitar), Mike Chubka (drums). They released a demo, one 7'' and this excellent, uncompromising slab of hardcore.

Just as they were recording this album singer Eddie decided to leave the band and the album was completed with the addition of Scott Wilkins, as well as some songs being sung by the remaining members. This lineup wasn't destined to last a long time as Keith moved to Australia and joined Death Sentence/Vicious Circle, Mike and Scott joined fellow Vats band Verbal Abuse and Tim to the Serial Killers. All these bands releases are worth tracking down.

Mediafire
 

10 comments:

  1. Vats bands....speed, H, drinking....homeless...Definately had a huge place in the SF Punk scene. They played The Farm a lot. Neil, go to Youtube and look for the Doc on The Farm....it is pretty cool. The venue was around after The Mab, On Broadway, and Tool and Die were gone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I love this record... I haven't been able to track a copy down since I wore out my LP back in the '80s (and I mean, I wore it out to nothing)... more Misfits/punk rock than 'hardcore', though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give me a link please Ken...all I can find is some organic farming poop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh Brush I did the same thing with my copy, which I still have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here you go. I went to many shows there. It was a farm co-op that had a large hall that they put on shows. Tough place to hang too. Many fights, skinheads beating others, the cops fucking with you before and after shows. Ahhh but it was home!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnplWimBtY4

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nic eshout Ken, looks like my kinda place. The link also lead me onto watching Another State of Mind again which I haven't watched for years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This record's so great all the way through.. between these files and the original LP that I had back in the 80's, I've probably listened to it a hundred times and there's still not a single song that I skip over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great I got it from zed records mail in the 80s

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice one. I remember Zed fondly, I got a lot of records from them myself. The good ole days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. damn I wish somebody could reshare this classic

    ReplyDelete